Re: [gtk-list] Re: Piling notebooks...

Owen Taylor wrote:

> Antonio Campos <acampos@ceronet.com> writes:
>
> > Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > > Not sure what this is, perhaps someone else can answer...
> > >

> > It's just piling two or more rows of notebooks sheets (when they are
> > horizontal, columns if they were vertical), like in the Display Properties
> > Dialog that appears in Windows 9x, when you press right mouse button over the
> > desktop.
> > For things like that, piling notebooks is more user friendly that making a big
> > scrollable notebook.
>
> Many UI experts consider the Windows-9x style implementation
> of this poor because the notebook tabs reorder when you select
> one that isn't on the top line.
>
> I'd say, in general, if you have more than 4 or 5 notetabs,
> you are doing something wrong, and if you need that many options,
> you should consider using a combination of a list and a separate
> pain of controls as someone else suggested.
>
> Regards,
>                                         Owen
>
> --

I think that the Windows 9x approach WITHOUT the  reordering (simply marking the
sheet that have been selected) is not a bad choice. Look at the demo of Java Swing
with the native behavior. It's nice. Anyway, I see no way to do this with GTK, so
maybe an improved widget in GTK 2.0 release or further away?