GLIB/GTK+ Library Installation

Hello Everyone:

Reading through the archives I know the installation of these libraries
seems to be a common problem but I have not been able to see where my
problem has been addressed (If it has a note to where the solution is would
be appreciated.

Problem: I am trying to install glib-1.2.6 and gtk+-1.2.6.

The problem is that after installing glib when I run ldconfig it gives me a
warning that states that:

libgmodule-1.2.so.0.0.6 appears to be for multiple libc's
libgmodule-1.2.so.0 appears to be for multiple libc's
libgmodule.so appears to be for multiple libc's

This error is also present in the output from the make install script after
it has added the libgmodule files. Do you have any idea what this means?
Also, when I try to compile and install gtk+-1.2.6, it gives me the
following error:

checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.4... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
*** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set
*** your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf
*** to point to the installed location. Also, make sure you have run
*** ldconfig if that is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it,
*** although you may also be able to get things to work by modifying
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH
***
*** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the GTK package
*** that came with the system with the command

etc.

I have tried to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable but it seems to have had no
effect on this problem.

I am running slackware 7.0 on a pentium 120 (32 MB of RAM).
Kernal version 2.2.13.
I uninstalled the slackware packages containing glib and gtk+ before I tried
to compile and install the new ones.

I was told that this problem with glib could be caused with it finding two
versions of libc to link against when compiling (there is libc-2.0.7.so,
libc-2.1.2.so, and libc.so.5.4.46 in /lib). However, this person had never
been able to install gtk+ successfully either. Is this the problem? I don't
want to get rid of any of these libraries 'cause I am not sure what programs
are linked against them. Is there a way to specify to the configure script
which version to use? Am I an idiot and totally missing the boat?

Any information (including any suggestions on documentation to read) would
be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jamie