again with GTK static linking

I'm trying to build a tool with the GTK libraries to place
on several machines at my work.
Since I only have root access on one of the machines,
it is the only one with GTK installed.  I know that
I can still build on each of the machines using
the --prefix command, but that really won't help
those that will use the tool and don't have access
to my directories.

So I am trying to build with the GTK libraries statically
linked in.  This is being built on a Solaris machine for
other Solaris machines (obviously). I'm currently using
glib-1.2.6 and gtk+-1.2.6

Here's my problem.

I compile with:

gcc -o mytool mytool.o -L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib \
-Wl,-Bstatic -lgtk -lgdk -lglib -lgmodule -Wl,-Bdynamic \
-lXext -lX11 -lm

And I receive the following errors:

dlclose                             /opt/local/lib/libgmodule.a(gmodule.o)
(symbol belongs to implicit dependency /usr/lib/libdl.so.1)
dlsym                               /opt/local/lib/libgmodule.a(gmodule.o)
(symbol belongs to implicit dependency /usr/lib/libdl.so.1)
dlopen                              /opt/local/lib/libgmodule.a(gmodule.o)
(symbol belongs to implicit dependency /usr/lib/libdl.so.1)
dlerror                             /opt/local/lib/libgmodule.a(gmodule.o)
(symbol belongs to implicit dependency /usr/lib/libdl.so.1)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to mytool

Has anyone gotten around this?
Do i have to recompile the glib to handle this.

I hate to disable shared libs since I have several other tools
that I use on this machine all using GTK.  But I need it
statically linked to place it on the other machines
without going to 15 different sys admins and asking
them to install GTK (I'd love them to do so but this is
a small tool that the admins don't care about).

Second Note:
  Has anyone ever gotten GTK compiled on AIX 4.1 ?

Right now I've spent 3 days trying to get it compiled,
I've even seen this asked before with no responses.
Right now I'm supporting a tool in both GTK
and Motif. This is not a good thing.
The if I can't get GTK compiled, it might mean
I go back to a Motif only solution (yuck!).