Re: including gettext libintl.a with Borland

On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 10:05:23PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Erik Mouw <J A K Mouw ITS TUDelft NL> writes:
> > Note: gettext was the first library that supported I18N. In order to
> > give GNU software a compatitive advantage, it was released with a GPL
> > license instead of the LGPL license that the FSF normally uses for
> > libraries. If you want to use it in your software, you MUST release
> > your software with a GPL license (that's the infectuous nature of the
> > GPL).
>
> I'm not sure that's true (gettext is in GNU libc now, which means it
> probably has the libc license, which is not GPL).

You're correct, I wasn't aware of it. I just checked the glibc source,
and intl/gettext.c says:

   This file is part of the GNU C Library.  Its master source is NOT part of
   the C library, however.

The master source is gettext-0.10.35.tar.gz, which is released under
GPL.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J A K Mouw its tudelft nl