Re: including gettext libintl.a with Borland

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 02:54:46PM -0600, Daniel Lee wrote:
> I am trying to change languages on the fly and need access to the
> _nl_msg_cat_cntr variable in the libintl.a library.  I am using Borlands C++
> compiler and can not link against the libintl.a library.

You shouldn't. The only libintl.a library I can find on my system is in
the GCC CVS build tree and it gets linked into gcc itself, so libintl.a
is certainly not a general purpose library.

> 1)  Is there a libintl library compatible with Borland available -or-

Hmm, if the Borland compiler can't link with a .a library, I consider
it a bug in the Borland compiler.

> 2)  What would be involved with recompiling all the source with Borland to
> produce a new libintl library.

Language selection should be done with GNU gettext. Check out
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ , or install the gettext package
on your Linux system.

Note: gettext was the first library that supported I18N. In order to
give GNU software a compatitive advantage, it was released with a GPL
license instead of the LGPL license that the FSF normally uses for
libraries. If you want to use it in your software, you MUST release
your software with a GPL license (that's the infectuous nature of the
GPL).

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J A K Mouw its tudelft nl