Re: [gtk-list] can't make shared glib libraries on RH 6.0

Ravi wrote:
>Glib won't build shared libraries even though I
>explicitly told it to.
>checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
>checking whether to build shared libraries... no
>checking whether to build static libraries... yes

i've run into this problem on my machine... not RedHat, or any
particular distro for that matter, i keep most things up to date by
hand. if it is the same problem, though, i tracked it when it occurs
during these library builds to the ltconfig script that configure
runs. it seems it doesn't always detect the correct version of gcc or
ld or one of those, which causes most things after that to fail.

i don't have any source for one of these libraries that gets screwed
up handy, or i'd post a crude fix i usually use. but i do recall that
there's a line in ltconfig where it fails that looks like:

someprogramname --version (or maybe --help?) | egrep "somesearchpattern"

and the exit staus is tested. the egrep fails, but for the wrong
reason. look in the config.log file, specifically the lines beginning
with "ltconfig:" to find where it decides you don't have shared
libraries. if it turns out you're experiencing the same problem, first
check you actually have egrep (if not, just change the command in
ltconfig to grep or something) and then play with the
"somesearchpattern" until it works.

sorry i can't be more specific, but i hope that helps...

B*B,
-Smoke.

Don't give up Hope. We might get a good price for her down the road,
especially if we can grab her sisters Faith and Charity. Sets fetch a
much better price in Baghdad.