can't make shared glib libraries on RH 6.0

Hi everyone!

I've been using glib/gtk+ for years now and have never
had a problem installing.
Until Now.
Glib won't build shared libraries even though I
explicitly told it to.
This causes GTK+ not to install.
I also tried setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
LD_RUN_PATH env variables.

Using Red Hat 6.0 - intel
Here are some pertinent lines from ./configure

checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports
shared libraries... yes
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking how to hardcode library paths into
programs... immediate
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object
files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... no
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool

NOTICE the linker characteristics line and below.

I tried to go back to 1.2.6 but got the same results.
The strange thing is that
I installed 1.2.6 back in november without a problem
so something must have chan
ged
on my machine.

Anybody got a clue?