Re: [gtk-list] Can't compile gtk-1.2.3 on Solaris

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:51:08 +0100, Tethys wrote:

> I'm trying to compile gtk-1.2.3 on Solaris 2.6 on an UltraSparc CPU.
>
> However, I have run into a few problems. Firstly, it requires perl!

Please try GTK 1.2.4, or the pre snapshot of GTK 1.2.5. It's fixed in one
of them, but I can't remember which one.

[snip]

> At the very least, if perl is required, configure should check
> for it.

You need perl 5 installed. Try "setenv PERL /complete/path/to/perl5",
remove config.cache, reconfigure and recompile.

> Like many others, I don't have permission to download stuff through
> our firewall. Fortunately, I found a version of perl already available
> on other machine, and gtk then compiled relatively easily (lots of
> warnings about X headers, but that's what Sun ship, and not something
> you can do much about :-).

So how did you manage to get GTK inside your firewall? A CDROM can't be
considered safe, too.

> The install failed with:
>
>    ginstall: /local/common/pag/lib/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/gtk+.mo: No such file
> or directory
>
> In my case, prefix=/local/common/pag. However, since I'm not particularly
> bothered by international message catalogs, I tried again with:
>
>    make -k install
>
> to skip the errors. It failed again further through the install process,
> because the Solaris "ln" barfs with the "-s -f" flags. Reversing the
> order of the flags to "-f -s" works, however. Yes, it's a bug in the
> Solaris "ln", but it's probably something that configure should be
> checking for.

Hmm, that should be something for the autoconf folks. From the autoconf
info file:

     Mail suggestions and bug reports for Autoconf to
  `bug-gnu-utils@prep.ai.mit.edu'.  Please include the Autoconf version
  number, which you can get by running `autoconf --version'.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl