Re: gdk_time_get in cvs tree

On 4 Oct 1999, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Alan Olsen <alan@clueserver.org> writes:
>
> > While trying to get some code tocompile under the cvs version of gtk, I
> > noticed that gdk_time_get is not to be found.  The function exists in
> > 1.2.4.
>
> Using the gnome libraries with GTK+-1.3.x is specifically
> unsupported at  this time. Please continue using GTK+-1.2.x.
> Once GTK+-1.4 is released, the GNOME libraries will be
> updated as necessary.
>
> gdk_time_get() was intentionally removed, because it isn't
> useful.
>
> It appears that it is used in various places - every place
> that it appeared in a quick was incorrect to begin with.
> (What gdk_time_get() used to return was the number of
> milliseconds since GDK was initialized.)

Sounds like a pretty pointless routine.  (You could just use a timer
instead and get about the same effect.)

> > Is this an oversight?  It that function going to be replaced by something
> > else?  (Will someone be fixing gnome-hello in the cvs tree to show that
> > change?)
>
> I certainly hope gnome-hello isn't using it... (and it doesn't
> seem to.)

The version I checked out of the cvs tree at Gnome.org last night did.  As
well as gnome-libs in the cvs tree.  (I was trying to get another problem
resolved and seem to have found more.) I will have to do a recursive grep
on what I have checked out and see what all uses it.

> > I would check the list archives, but I am unable to connect to them at the
> > moment.  (The server at gnome.org does not want to respond at the moment.)
>
> Seems to be working now.

Probably a routing issue between here and there.  (It happens.)

Thanks for the quick reply!

alan@ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."