Re: [gtk-list] Re: A "dumb" question needs an answer.. Y2K??

On Mon, 08 Nov 1999 16:51:05 +0100, Erik Mouw wrote:

Sorry, that Ctrl-S was meant for XEmacs...

> On Mon, 08 Nov 1999 11:52:54 -0500, Marc wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the reply Erik...
>>
>> Unfortunately, my employer DOES believe in the Y2K FUD.  They
>> want to remove ANY software that has not been deemed Y2K compliant
>> even if it isn't mission critical in and of itself.  They believe
>> that any application like this could cause systems to crash or
>> cause other applications to malfunction.
>
> You mean that the people responsible for Y2K testing in your company don't
> know what the Y2K problem really is?
>
> Now if you just promise them that you won't

OK, what I wanted to say: Now if you just promise them that you don't use
Gimp on december 31, nothing can go wrong.

What happens if they remove Gimp&friends. The Y2K will pass, and then? Are
you allowed to re-install the software on 01-jan-2000? This is of course
exactly the same as promising that you won't use Gimp. If your Y2K team
accepts this last one, they are really clueless.

>> On your other note, yes, I could do the Y2K testing myself, but the
>
> No. If your company is really serious about Y2K, the Y2K test team should
> do the audit because that's their job. If they don't know how to do that,
> then the wrong people are set on that job.
>
>> process we have in place for testing and entering it into our
>> Y2K compliant database is extremely time consuming.  Of course it
>> is... why would you expect them to use common sense with that aspect
>> of it if they aren't using it in deciding which apps are and are not
>> Y2K compliant.  I was just hoping for some "golden" statement I can
>> use to fight my cause or a web page like the one at:
>>
>> http://www.rru.com/~meo/gimp/y2k.html  for the gimp itself.
>>
>> I know it's ridiculous that they will accept pages like this
>> as proof, but will not just take my word for it.  Anyone can
>> put up a web page.  Yes, it is quite ridiculous.  I suppose
>> I can put up a page saying that I checked everything and it
>> looks compliant to me.  They may accept that, but if they
>> found out that I was the author who knows what they'd do.  :-)

Hey, I can put up a page for your company ;-).

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl