newbie help please

Hello,
I just bought a book about using GTK+ and GDK but I cant seem to get any
of the stuff to compile so I don't think I have all the files I
downloaded setup correctly.  I have a RedHat 5.2 machine, I just
downloaded and installed glib-1.2.3.tar.gz and gtk+1.2.3.tar.gz.  When I
type in just a plain hello world program(in the tutorial)it gives me
this:
Libraries: gtk
gthread
In file included from /usr/local/include/gdk/gdktypes.h:33,
                      /usr/local/include/gdk/gdk.h:31,
                      /usr/local/include/gtk/gtk.h:31,
from helloworld.c:1:
/usr/local/include/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h:No such file

I'm not exactly sure of what this means or how to correct it so any
help getting me started will be very useful.  Thanks
Derek Horton
stu2997@atuvm.atu.edu