Re: [gtk-list] Re: FW: Re: GLib 1.2.2

On Thu, 13 May 1999 12:26:27 -0400, (Michael K. Johnson) wrote:
> Erik Mouw writes:
>>Use back quotes (`), not normal quotes ('):
>>  gcc base.c -o base `gtk-config --cflags --libs`
>>This is really becoming a FAQ.
> But putting it into a FAQ won't help, because people will misread
> the ` characters for ' characters -- in fact, in many monospace
> fonts, they are identical.
> I suggest that in FAQ and other documents, we suggest people use
>    gcc base.c -o base $(gtk-config --cflags --libs)
> because that can't be misread so easily.

Yes, I have to admit that it can't be misread. The problem is that it
can't be used:

    echo $(gtk-config --cflags)
    Illegal variable name.

    echo $(gtk-config --cflags)
    Syntax error: `(' unexpected

What's wrong with a FAQ entry like:

  Note: Those are really back quotes (`), not normal quotes ('). If you
  happen to use a monospaced font in which both types of quotes are the
  same: with back quote we mean a quote that's leaning backward in much
  the same direction as the back slash (\) does.

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email