Accessing state of menu items

I have created a menu consisting of <CheckItem>s using
ItemFactory.  I would now like to be able to write code
conditional on the status (active or not) of those items, and
also code that sets the status of those items (e.g. conditional
on what is found on reading an rc file).  In the gtk docs I have
found conditional code somewhat similar to what I have in mind,
but for "stand-alone" toggle buttons, and I don't see how to
translate it for toggleable menu items.

Question: Am I missing something in the documentation?  Or could
anyone point me towards additional docs or code samples that
might clarify this?  Thanks.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics