Re: [gtk-list] Re: GLib-1.2 on HP-UX 10.20

Sebastian Wilhelmi wrote:

> That seem to be dce threads (an old posic draft). This is not supported
> good in glib 1.2.x, but will be in 1.4.x. Please mail me your
> /usr/include/pthread.h and the output of "nm /usr/lib/libdce.sl". I'll
> have a look into this then. But I don't suppose I'll add support to 1.2.x.

  Indeed! looking more into it this morning I see it is an
old draft of the standard or "DCE threads" as Sebastian says.
some of the things I noticed so far:

   1) All pthread_* functions are in /usr/lib/libdce.sl
   2) pthread_getspecific() takes two arguments, the second is
      the actual value whereas the current POSIX threads has
      one argument and returns NULL or the actual value.
   3) PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER is not defined :-( which forces
      the usage of an init function for the module :(
   4) This is HP-UX 10.20. HP-UX 11.x does have both DCE and
      current POSIX and as such it has libpthread*.

Then I am told by a colleague that the 'newer' Posix threads on
HP-UX 11.00 are not good either because it is based on the
'wrong' (older) version of the 'new' standard. So several things
are kind of broken unless you install lots of patches. And...
opening a named pipe in HP-UX 11 *blocks all threads*, yes,not
only the process but the threads as well...

		cheers,
				emilio
--
D. Emilio Grimaldo Tunon       Compuware Europe B.V. (Uniface Lab)
Software Engineer	       Amsterdam, The Netherlands