Re: [gtk-list] Re: Displaying images from a camera as fast as possible?/RGB images

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Nils Hulth wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> What I'm really after is a widget where I can manipulate the RGB-values
> directly, and do memory copies of large chunks, and afterwards flush the
> whole picture onto the screen. The best would be if I could reuse the same
> memory again, to avoid slow copies. I do not like the using the DGA extension
> since you need to be root to use it, therefore I can accept some slowdown. Is
> there such a thing?
Once mor, have a look at paul.  I use my own loading routines for
PNG and TIFF (to read special chunks/tags).  Afterwards I build
an ImLib structure form the readed data.  And yes, Raster supports only
a function to *copy* this data and you could be (at least) the second
one who beg him to inclode a *move* method.  I have done it without
success:-(, but it is a five minute hack.  Former I used my own
function fiddling around with internal ImLib data but I gived up that
for security.

I don't know what DGA extension is.  I can only say that ImLib uses
XSHM which is the fastest way to the screen in my opinion.

You find all sources and debian packages of paul at the location I
mentioned.

Kind regards

     Andreas.