Re: Software design question (pthread or special widget)?

Elliot Lee wrote:

> >My two options seem to be:
> >
> >1.  Use pthreads to create a new thread for my MIDI parser
> >2.  Create a special widget to read MIDI data
> >
> >I think I can handle the former, but somehow the idea of the latter is
> >exciting.  Anyone have some ideas / input?  I'm a bit at a loss to go
> >about writing my own widget.
>
> (I assume you mean s/widget/object that is a child of GtkAdjustment/).
>
> You shouldn't even have to create a new class - simply setting of the
> value of the GtkAdjustment that the scroll bar is "attached to" should be
> sufficient...

But I still need to fork (or pthread) off a new process to do the MIDI
polling.  No?

I was wondering if there's a way to link up with whatever kind of
poller/scheduler/event handler that GTK has ... but for MIDI events
instead of screen/X events.  A GtkMIDI widget would be pretty darn cool!

DT
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
Programmer / Analyst, Dean's Office (School of A&S)