Re: Software design question (pthread or special widget)?

On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 17:15:42 -0500, David J. Topper <topper@virginia.edu>
wrote:

>I'm writing a front end to a real-time synthesis engine called RTcmix
>(http://www.music.columbia.edu/cmix).  I already have an application set
>up to control synthesis parameters via sliders.  But I'd like the
>ability to read pitch data either from the MIDI port OR from a slider.
>
>My two options seem to be:
>
>1.  Use pthreads to create a new thread for my MIDI parser
>2.  Create a special widget to read MIDI data
>
>I think I can handle the former, but somehow the idea of the latter is
>exciting.  Anyone have some ideas / input?  I'm a bit at a loss to go
>about writing my own widget.

(I assume you mean s/widget/object that is a child of GtkAdjustment/).

You shouldn't even have to create a new class - simply setting of the
value of the GtkAdjustment that the scroll bar is "attached to" should be
sufficient...

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg