Software design question (pthread or special widget)?

Hey folks,

I'm writing a front end to a real-time synthesis engine called RTcmix
(http://www.music.columbia.edu/cmix).  I already have an application set
up to control synthesis parameters via sliders.  But I'd like the
ability to read pitch data either from the MIDI port OR from a slider.

My two options seem to be:

1.  Use pthreads to create a new thread for my MIDI parser
2.  Create a special widget to read MIDI data

I think I can handle the former, but somehow the idea of the latter is
exciting.  Anyone have some ideas / input?  I'm a bit at a loss to go
about writing my own widget.

Thanks,

DT
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
Programmer / Analyst, Dean's Office (School of A&S)