GTK+-1.2.0 & XInput

Hello,
  I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers on getting GTK to support
xinput devices.

  I've compiled gtk+ 1.2.0 --with-xinput=xfree, and my device (wacom
tablet) is operating correctly: it shows up in 'xinput list' and its
events are displayed by 'xev'.  However, any GTK applications which could
use it (gimp, gsumi) simply report 'No input devices' from the appropriate
dialog.

  Can anyone offer advice as to what I should be looking at to try and get
this working?  Hopefully I've only missed a FAQ somewhere.. :)

Thanks
  Justin Wind
  fek@squeep.com