Re: [gtk-list] Re: slow load bc of drawing area

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Rob Huffstedtler wrote:

> Portability.  I want to be able to compile on Windows as well once it gets
> to the point that I can compile GTK using cygwin.  I've heard a lot about
> the GNOME canvas and really wish I could use it.  This is one of the
> things I was talking about when I was suggesting that Owen and co. follow
> in the paths of the Qt/KDE folks and move some of the functionality of
> gnomelib into GTK.
>
> Alternatively I could hope that someone ports gnome-libs to Win32, but I
> suspect that it will be along time before anyone even thinks about doing
> that.

Hm, yeah. FWIW this is how they're doing portability in the Gimp for now.
I think it is fairly suboptimal.

Toolkits designed to be cross-platform, like wxWindows and Qt, are perhaps
nicer. All "real" apps seem to end up with their own portability layer
though (Mozilla, AbiWord). Another approach is to just put all the "hard"
or "engine" code into a library then write two separate GUIs.

> I guess my best bet for this is to look at the GnomeCanvas source.  I
> know that SEGV is also doing something similar in Minion, but he makes
> very heavy use of the STL, so I have trouble following his code.  Can you
> suggest any documentation that covers such an implementation?

Can't think of any docs. The relevant canvas source is gtklayout.c in Gtk
(canvas is a subclass of GtkLayout).

BTW, you mentioned file size; PNG or something will be much smaller than
an XPM. libpng should be portable. Of course you'll have to do some work
to get from that to a GdkPixmap since you can't use Imlib. (But check the
AbiWord sources, they must have this code.)

Havoc