[gtk-list] Re: more widget size problems/questions

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, brent verner wrote:

> > The size request of a widget simply isn't its actual size. It's the size
> > the widget wants, but it might actually get a smaller or larger value. So,
> > gtk_widget_size_request() will not give you a widget's size.
>
> i'll give this a shot, but from your language i get the feeling
> this is only gonna give me the  size _after_ the widget is shown.

You could use a frame within your window to wrap the window's contents.
Set your window border with to 0 (just to be sure no theme hacker changes
it for you), frame border width to 6, and then set the frame shadow type
to GTK_SHADOW_NONE.
Then call gtk_widget_show_all() and gtk_widget_resize_request() on the
frame before you position and show the window.

 / Johan
         --  johan@tiq.com  --  http://www.dsv.su.se/~j-hanson/ --