drawing and previews

I'm still struggling with the same thing, but now I've got more info.

I'm trying to draw in a preview. The reason why I'm doing this is because
I want a nice background. (Perhaps I should draw the background myself and
that's what I'll do if I don't find a solution to this...)

Anyway, I draw on "expose" and none of what I draw shows when the window
first comes up. On subsequent expose, stuff does show.

However, if the preview is empty (i.e. I never drew a row in it)
everything shows beautifully. (That's the new thing I figured out...)

What's going on here and how do I solve it?!

Thanks a lot!

Pavel

PS: Is abandoning the preview and drawing in stuff from scratch a better
idea anyway?