Re: [gtk-list] Re: more widget size problems/questions

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The size request of a widget simply isn't its actual size. It's the size
> the widget wants, but it might actually get a smaller or larger value. So,
> gtk_widget_size_request() will not give you a widget's size.
>
> I would connect to the size_allocate signal of the widget; you will get
> that signal whenever the widget's size changes, and the size allocation
> is the size the widget really got.
                                ^^^

i'll give this a shot, but from your language i get the feeling
this is only gonna give me the  size _after_ the widget is shown.

what i am trying to do is come up with a way of positioning the
new window within the boundary of the parent window to replace
gtk_window_position(), as _i_ think it would be nice. if gtk has
now way of doing this at this time, i'm more than willing to
*attempt* to add this functionality to gtk, so let me know where
to start looking in gtk to add this functionality -- if this
is possible.

thanks.
brent