Basic Beginners Installation question

Hi,

Ok, may be I am dumb and maybe that's why I should stick with stupid
Microsoft stuff - but I would like to change both so bare with me - I
need to learn.

I am trying to install gimp on a linux computer at school where we  all
have our own user accounts. I was hoping to install it in my account
without write access to root. (Tell me if I am dreaming already...)

I managed to untar the gtk+-1.2.3.tar.gz and ran the ./configure without
any problems.
Then the README and INSTALL file tell me to run 'make'
So I type make, hit enter and get:
make: *** No targets. Stop.

What did it expect? The INSTALL file didn't tell me to specify any
targets! What should I put there?

I really appreciate your help

 Thanks
 Peter