Re: [gtk-list] Basic Beginners Installation question

Thus spoke Peter Bubik
> I managed to untar the gtk+-1.2.3.tar.gz and ran the ./configure without
> any problems.
> Then the README and INSTALL file tell me to run 'make'
> So I type make, hit enter and get:
> make: *** No targets. Stop.

Either you're in the wrong directory or configure didn't work.  Is there a
Makefile in the directory you're in?  You should be in the top level
directory of the gtk distribution, ie the same directory that configure is
in.  When you run configure, you can try this:

% ./configure 2>&1 | tee config.out

After configure completes, edit the file config.out to see if there really
were any problems.  Sometimes configure will hit a problem, but not stop
because of it.

> What did it expect? The INSTALL file didn't tell me to specify any
> targets! What should I put there?

"targets" are specified in the Makefile.  It appears that these are missing
from the Makefile (assuming the Makefile is actually there).
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           | Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to