Re: [gtk-list] gtk-config

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:47:49 +0000, Ju-Lian Kwan wrote:
>     Hello, simple question here about gtk-config. I was reading the
> gtk faq and I ran across the error I was having (not glibconfig.h) and
> tried doing what the faq suggested (more or less, gcc [...] 'gtk-config
> --cflags --libs') but when I try this I simply get a "pgcc: gtk-config
> --clfags --libs: no such file or directory" error returned.

[snip]

>     Anyway, thanks for your time. Sorry if this is explained somewhere
> else, I wasn't able to find it (the faq seemed fairly sure that the
> 'gtk-config --cflags --libs' would work. I'm running the Mandrake 6.0
> distro if it matters.

No, the FAQ is pretty sure that normal quotes don't work. See question 4.2
in the GTK+ FAQ:

\begin{quote}
  You should notice the backquote character which is used in this command
  line. A common mistake when you start a GTK+ based development is to use
  quote instead of backquotes. If you do so, the compiler will complain
  about an unknown file called 'gtk-config --cflags --libs'. The text in
  backquotes is an instruction to your shell to substitute the output of
  executing this text into the command line.
\end{quote}

Also notice that the GTK+ FAQ has been updated (thanks Nathan, Tony,
Shawn, and Emmanuel!).

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl