Timer callbacks stall out (stop getting called)

I'm running gpppkill on a Thinkpad 755c, with RH6.0 and the 2.2.10 kernel
(with all RH updates applied).

Basically, the program runs for a second or two, then stops updating it's
graph. I added a quick printf() to the timer callback function to see if
it was still getting called, and sure enough, the program would start, the
timeout callback would get called a few times (anywhere from one to five
or so), then it would simply stop getting called. Mouse events still work
fine, and overall the program is otherwise responsive to events (that I
can generate manually).

But, the timeout (set to a second) function simply stops getting called
within a few seconds.

Can anyone tell me why this might be so? What in the gtk library handles
timeout function callbacks, and is there a way to troubleshoot this area?

Thanks,
Eric
P.S. - I also tried gstripchart, and it exhibits the same symptoms - mouse
events work fine, but after a second or two it stops updating its display
(i.e. the timeout callback is no longer called)

Thanks,
Eric