GTK++ proposal

  I would like to commend all the authors of the GIMP
  and GTK+ for creating an excellent widget set for
  the X Window System. Great work guys!
  The free software community benefits greatly from
  your efforts. :-)

  Below are some thoughts that you may want to consider.

  After the original GTK toolkit evolved to the GTK+
  toolkit, which added object oriented principles to
  the C language, I feel that now is the right time to
  go one step further - GTK++ - a C++ version of GTK+.

  Before I say more, I realise that people are working
  at creating bindings for C++, and other bindings exist
  for many other languages as well, however, I believe
  that many of the bindings created break the original
  aims of GTK+ - to be a fast, small and efficient
  toolkit for programming the X Window System.
  Many bindings created thus far are either extremely
  criptic, add unrequired code bulk, or are lacking in
  features found in GTK+.

  A C++ version would greatly simplify the learning curve
  of the toolkit, especially in creating new widgets for
  the library. Theme support for example could be added
  simply by deriving new classes for each widget
  containing a modified virtual draw function.

  I realise that it would put back GTK+ development a
  while, but the ease at which it would be to program
  using an object-oriented toolkit in C++ rather than
  in C would in my opinion be worth the hard work.

  I am in no way trying to tarnish the image of GTK+.
  I am simply trying to extend it by thinking towards
  the future.

  I am extremely eager for the GTK+ authors to agree
  to this proposal. Perhaps we could have a GTK+ and
  GTK++ toolkit evolving with similar features
  simultaneously, so that programmers have a real
  choice, and so development of more quality free
  software can continue without language barriers,
  while keeping the GIMP programmers cooking at
  what they do so well.

  Your thoughts, criticisms and concerns would be
  greatly appreciated. I would also be very willing
  to contribute to this work, but I can't do it alone!
  I feel that many other programmers would be happy to
  help. Perhaps the Gtk-- and VDK authors could
  chip in too!

  Karol - karlmail@usa.net