gtk+-1.2.0 compile problems

I recently downloaded the latest gtk+ and glib 1.2.0 tarballs.
I successfully compiled glib but, as usual with gtk, not gtk+.

I read thru the INSTALL file, did everything that seemed
pertinent from this file, but when I try to make gtk+-1.2.0
it craps out with:

ar: gdkfont.o: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [libgdk.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gtk/gtk+-1.2.0/gdk'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gtk/gtk+-1.2.0'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

How do I get this thing to compile?  It would be something
of a first...getting anything gtk-related to compile,
let alone the gtk libs itself.  Any aid would be greatly
appreciated.
"If a man hasn't discovered something that
he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
	          --Martin Luther King, Jr

Padraig UiNiall