Re: [gtk-list] Re: Can Gtk be used as a Rendering Libaray ?

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 06:46:23PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >  Is it possible to Use gtk as a rendering library ?.  For example,
> >  Is it possible to pass a Window handle (Gdk window) to gtk to draw
> >  a button on the window?  What I am looking for is a method to get
> >  the Gtk widget Look and Feel for my application without going
> >  through gtk_main().  I did look through the sample
> >  applications(testgtk)...
>
> That sounds really scary :-)
>
> If you just call gtk_init(), you *could* use the rendering functions
> from the GtkStyle structures.  Look at gtk_draw_*() and gtk_paint_*()
> in gtkstyle.c.
>
> You may want to use Gtk's display connection if you do this.
>
> Why do you want to do this, though?
>
>   Federico

I had been wondering whether this was possible myself.  It could be
useful in a window manager, to do things like menus and such.  It
might be easier than trying to manage the gtk event loop, and it
would make something like icewm (which emulates the gtk look for its
menus) much more integrated into the Gnome look and feel.

Lyndon