Re: [gtk-list] ANNOUNCE: GTK+ 1.1.16 Released

"Shawn T . Amundson" <amundson@gimp.org> writes:
> GTK+ 1.1.16 is now at: ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v1.1/.
>
> GLib and GTK+ are approaching stable series 1.2.x.  Please
> test this version and report bugs.  For information on reporting
> bugs, please read the README file in the distribution.

I don't know if this is really a bug, so please let me know if I'm
missing something important.  You can get very funny behaviors from
some widgets by using a style engine that sets the xthickness and
ythickness fields of the GtkStyleClass structure, to values greater
than two (the problem will be specially bad if the values for both
fields are different between them, for example 5 and 10).  At least
GtkButton (particularly the CAN_DEFAULT buttons), Gtk[HV]Scrollbar,
Gtk[HV]Paned, Gtk[HV]Separator and Gtk[HV]Ruler, show incorrect (IMO)
behaviors.  The bugs generally have to do with misplaced or
incorrectly sized elements.

I think all of the engines in the gtk-engines package set those fields
to 2, so the problem simply doesn't show up with them.  However, it
seems to me that if the fields are there, it is because they can be
changed ;-) (and doing that, indeed, makes sense and can be very
useful for some themes, at least) so the problems will make themselves
evident sooner or later.

I put patches for the problems I found in
http://naoma.uniandes.edu.co/~masoto/gtk (I'm not posting them to the
list because of their size), but they are mixed with a bunch of
changes that allow to set the values of the xthickness and ythickness
fields from the rcfile.  I can work on separating the patches if that
is considered necessary, but I would like to listen to more opinions
before doing so (is a lotta work, you know :-).

Best regards,

M. S.
Martin A. Soto J.                          Professor
Department of Systems Engineering and Computing
The University of Los Andes    -    Bogota. Colombia
e-mail: masoto@uniandes.edu.co