Error when dynamically loading glib-1.1.12 from python

I get an import error when trying to dynamically load glib-1.1.12 from
Python on a RedHat 5.2 system.  (I'm using Python 1.5.2b1 and wxPython).

The load fails with the following error.

ImportError: /usr/lib/ undefined symbol: __bzero

Why is calling something called __bzero?

I noticed that bzero is defined in /lib/ which glib links against
but no __bzero.  What's going on here that I obviously don't understand.

Thanks for any advice,

--Travis Oliphant