Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK+ GUI target for emacs?

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu writes:
> I can't speak for FSF Emacs, but the XEmacs crew was just discussing this
> point.  The major hassle seems to be that the GTK event loop isn't compatible
> with the Xt event loop (which is used by a lot of other stuff in XEmacs via
> XtAddAppInput() to monitor other file descriptors/etc).
>
> If this is incorrect, *please* let me know so I can pass the info along.

The event loop was the big problem for FSF Emacs as well and Owen sent
a long mail to the people working on that describing how to address
it. He might have an archived copy.

It looks like the easiest way to fix the event loop is to just use the
glib event loop as the main one, because it's more powerful than the
Xt loop or the FSF Emacs loop. Then you add other event handlers and
maybe make calls to the Xt loop somehow.  This didn't work for FSF
Emacs because they need to catch SIGIO for control-G though or
something.

I looked at the sources briefly once and XEmacs looked far easier to
port due to the frontend being better-separated from the rest of the
code, though perhaps it's an illusion. :-)

Havoc