Re: [gtk-list] Re: Window manager window placement and X modifiers/states

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:55:29 +0100, Nils Rennebarth <nils@ipe.uni-stuttgart.de>  said:
> How it done nowadays? I ask because I'm writing an application that has to
> reseble as close as possible a fixed specialized device, i.e. a certain
> while after the computer is powered on, the main window of the application
> pops up at a certain fixed position. No user login, nothing. This works
> except for the window placement, where the window manager (fvwm2) just
> places the window anywhere at random.

Have you considered *NOT RUNNING* a window manager at all?

If you've already tossed out user login and such (for a kiosk application,
for instance), you probably don't WANT a window manager running.

In fact, you may even want to go look at your startx/xinit/whatever
script and have it launch just the X server and your application and
that's it.

PGP signature