Re: [gtk-list] Window manager window placement and X modifiers/states

Matthew D Allen <s2mdalle@titan.vcu.edu> writes:
> If the wm is in a good mood, it will make it so.  And if it isn't in a
> good mood, then it'll put it wherever the hell it wants. :)  I've been
> having some problems with enlightenment being a bastard about where it
> puts windows.  From what I've read, it would suggest that there isn't a
> way to force the issue.  Is that true?

Indeed it is. It's fair to say that if you _require_ the window
manager to comply with your position request that your app is broken
though. A good example is xmms, which is spectacularly broken (I don't
think the authors care, since they are going for flash, but it's still
broken).

However Enlightenment should honor gtk_widget_set_uposition().

Note that set_usize() and set_uposition() have the "u" in there which
stands for "user." Technically, you are only supposed to use these
for toplevel windows when the _user_ has requested a certain size
(traditionally, this was done with -geometry options and X
resources). Thus window managers are supposed to honor them as they
represent user preferences.

In GTK these functions also work on non-toplevel widgets, where it
conceivably makes more sense to programmatically specify a particular
size.

Havoc