Sound and MIDI files under GNOME?

 Hi-

 This might be an off-the-wall question, but I'm wondering if there's a
GNOME set of libraries for things like playing sound effects or music
such as from MIDI files.

 I'm aware of several libraries, bout would prefer a more or less widespread
one under the GPL license. The application I'm writing would be GPL'ed.

 If there isn't an official GNOME sound library, what would be recommended
for GNOME (or just Linux apps in general) developers?

 Thanks!

 -Derrick