Glade & configure event

I'am relatively new at gtk programming, and have been using glade
for my current project. I am trying to make a program that uses a frame
grabber
to create solar spectrum distributions. I now have a window in which the
user can
select input channels etc etc. The default values for this window can
different each
time the window is created. I now have a configure event attached to the
window.
The problem i have is: how can i set the default's for this window from
the configure event, there must be some way of accessing the widgets it
contains.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Martijn Graswinckel