Re: [gtk-list] problems building GTK+ on SCO Unixware

Joe Phillips wrote:

> I'm attempting to GNU-ify my recently-installed copy of free SCO
> Unixware 2.1.3.  In doing so, I'm trying to get GTK+ working so I

Been doing some of the same on 'my' HP-UX workstation here :-)
luckily I have been given (taken) the freedom to install Linux
on the PC (to replace NT) but still need to other machines for
testing.

> build.  I received numerous errors about undefined symbols.  All
> the undefined symbols were named gtk_*.  I used the following
> commands to build the helloworld2 example...
>
> bash$ cd gtk+1.0.5/examples/helloworld2
> bash$ make
>
> The errors are generated during the linking phase of the build.

 Exactly, since the unresolved symbols are gtk_* it is most likely
to be caused by the linker not being able to find the gtk libraries.
Modify the makefiles to point to the right library path. Another
cause there could be that gtk-config is not in your path, for
example on my system it is in /opt/bin which is *not* in my
path so the makefiles had the /opt/bin/gtk-config. Remember that
`gtk-config --libs' is used to get the right path to the
libraries as well as specifying which libraries are needed in your given
platform, mine gives:

   etunon% /opt/bin/gtk-config --libs
    -L/opt/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lglib -lXext -lX11 -lm

			Cheers,
					Emilio
--
D. Emilio Grimaldo Tunon       Compuware Europe B.V. (Uniface Lab)
Software Engineer	       Amsterdam, The Netherlands