problems building GTK+ on SCO Unixware

hello all,

I'm attempting to GNU-ify my recently-installed copy of free SCO
Unixware 2.1.3.  In doing so, I'm trying to get GTK+ working so I
can use all the great GTK and Gnome software.

The other day, I built and installed GTK+ 1.0.5.  It appeared to
build and install without problems.  When I tried to build some
of the example applications (in ./examples) nothing would
build.  I received numerous errors about undefined symbols.  All
the undefined symbols were named gtk_*.  I used the following
commands to build the helloworld2 example...

bash$ cd gtk+1.0.5/examples/helloworld2
bash$ make

The errors are generated during the linking phase of the build.

I've posted a few times to comp.unix.unixware.misc but no one
has answered me with suggestions.

It appears to me as though the gtk library isn't being properly
included in the build.  I even typed in the build command with
the correct gtk libraries and got the same result.

all binaries and header files are installed under the /usr/local/...
directories.

Unfortunately, I cannot use Linux so switching is not an option.

Can anyone help me debug this problem or point me to a
forum that can?

thanks in advance.

joe phillips