Re: [gtk-list] g_strdelimit

//All:

David:

//Perhaps this isn't the correct forum, I've seen mostly
//programmer-related things, and I'm not a programmer.  But I'm hoping
//someone knowledgeable on the list can point me to the correct FM.

Seems like the correct forum. I don't think there is a correct FM yet. Perhaps
this should be a FFAQ.

<deletia>
//upgraded to gtk 1.0.5 (had 1.0.1/3/4 on the system) because a new
//program required it.
<deletia>
//Now, builds _and_ previously working programs bomb with:
///usr/lib/libgtk.so.1: undefined symbol: g_strdelimit

Previous versions of gtk had inter-library dependencies enabled. g_strdelimit
is in glib, not in gtk, and apparently used in gtk. In previous versions,
libgtk.so would contain a reference to libglib.so. Now, it doesn't. (These
things don't work on all platforms, apparently.) (Did I get all that right?)
This means that libgtk.so will not be able to find g_strdelimit. Hence, the
problem.

The solution is (I know this works on Linux, I have the same problem at home)
to say (well, type, really) "setenv LD_PRELOAD /usr/lib/libglib.so" before you
want to run any of those programs. This will load libglib first, and use any of
the symbols defined by that when needed. That's a workaround that works fine
for me. You can even put that setenv in your .tcshrc or some such, so it will
always be set.

A more permanent solution involves recompiling the programs that bomb with this
error.

//TIA,

YW,

//David A. Bandel

Johannes.
--
"In sailing the digital ocean, theory provides the steerage, implementation
 the wind" - William Bricken and Geoffrey Coco

Virtually researching virtual behaviour in a virtual world.