g_strdelimit

All:

Perhaps this isn't the correct forum, I've seen mostly
programmer-related things, and I'm not a programmer.  But I'm hoping
someone knowledgeable on the list can point me to the correct FM.

Anyway, my problem is this (short version):

upgraded to gtk 1.0.5 (had 1.0.1/3/4 on the system) because a new
program required it.

build bombed -- it kept looking at the wrong version (1.0.4).  So I did
a system-wide search and destroy on all three gtk libs/includes, etc.,
and reinstalled just 1.0.5.

Now, builds _and_ previously working programs bomb with:
/usr/lib/libgtk.so.1: undefined symbol: g_strdelimit

(libgtk.so.1 is linked to libgtk.so.1.0.5)

WTFO? (what the fsck, over?)

TIA,

David A. Bandel
--
Linux -- because you care enough to use the very best.