Re: [gtk-list] Re: announce: yet another gtk+ C++ wrapper (no caps as Owen suggest)

Mario Motta <mmotta@guest.net> writes:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> >

> >It is pointless to free memory on application termination : the system
> >does that for you, and not caring about object deletion simply means
> >leaking memory whenever you're creating a new object.
> >

> you should'nt explain me such things, i'm not so inexperienced programmer :-)

I know that, no offense meant. However, the initial statement which I
quoted is extremely puzzling.

> besides the fact that now VDK makes an interleaved gc using idle call,
> neverthless having a system that takes care for you memory freeing can
> avoid some dangerous situations like deleting twice a damned pointer.
> (never happened to you ?)

Of course it has, that's unrelated to the question here. In the
general case, you simply can't forget about all memory management
issues and decide that you're not going to free anything just because
the system will clean things up behind you anyway.

> >As far as GC goes, I wonder how you're doing it...
> >
> using idle call i explained above. (user can uninstall/install it)

Fine, but how do you know what needs to be deleted ?

> >You're missing my point : VDKPixmapButton is just symptomatic of what
> >I'm trying to explain which is that you are currently writing some
> >classes which would be better written over Gtk--. As far as duplicate
> >code goes, it's just a couple hundred lines, nobody cares. But please
> >compare it with Pixmap_Tipped_Button.
>
> we are definetely in differents frequencies :-)
> is'nt bad, diversity is ever a good thing.

No it's not. Not always. And neither are standards :-).

Besides, the question is not about diversity, it's just that VDK would
be better written over Gtk--.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.worldnet.fr/~glaurent