Re: [gtk-list] Re: announce: yet another gtk+ C++ wrapper (no caps as Owen suggest)

Mario Motta <mmotta@guest.net> writes:

> >            2. No memory freeing and/or deleting is requested, all
> >               new'ed objects will be automatically
> >            destroyed at application termination (in future
> >            releases an interleaved garbage collection will be
> >            provided).
>
> jump why ? don't believe or never seen?

It is pointless to free memory on application termination : the system
does that for you, and not caring about object deletion simply means
leaking memory whenever you're creating a new object.

As far as GC goes, I wonder how you're doing it...

> >We don't care. Really. Signals mostly react to user's actions, and the
> >user can't perceive the difference between a 1ms reaction and a 10ms
> >one.

> could be true in commercial/business programs where the program is
> [...]
> analogic/digital simulator you can't think to make it with Perl/Tk
> or with any other GUI that can't support such speed.

Of course not, but do you really think it's worth limiting the
flexibility of something as widely used as signals just because a few
applications might need something faster ? Why putting on every
developper the limitations imposed by the speed requirements of some
very specific apps that very few people are ever going to use ?

> >Now regarding VDK, and why I really want to convince you that it
> >should be rewritten as a set of Gtk-- classes. Consider
> >VDKPixmapButton. It's an almost exact duplication of a class I had
> >written almost a year ago, Pixmap_Tipped_Button (see my homepage),
> >which was one of my first try at Gtk--. I wrote it probably for the
> >same reason as you, because I needed the added convenience. Moreover,
> >it was much easier for me to write it than for you, because I was
> >already using Gtk--.
>
> OpenSource is plenty of duplicate code, two such types of pixmapped
> buttons is'nt enough a good reason, i guess Tero see things more
> pragmactically than you :-)

You're missing my point : VDKPixmapButton is just symptomatic of what
I'm trying to explain which is that you are currently writing some
classes which would be better written over Gtk--. As far as duplicate
code goes, it's just a couple hundred lines, nobody cares. But please
compare it with Pixmap_Tipped_Button.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.worldnet.fr/~glaurent