RE: [gtk-list] Re: Experimental GTK DocBook documentation

> That pretty much kicks ass.
>
> I'd like to integrate this into the distribution as soon as practical,
> so you just need to lay out how it works, etc.
>
> If we could get this working for the 1.0 version of GTK+ in the next
> 36 hours, that would be optimal.
>
> -Shawn

I'm glad you like it.
I think it needs quite a bit more work before adding to GTK, though.
I'd like the generated DocBook files to be perfect before this, since
once people start editing them, we can't generate them again.

Do you think it is useful to GTK 1.0 in its current state, i.e. with
no explanations anywhere? If so, I can try to put together collections
of HTML pages and man pages which we can put on GTK's web site, though
it will probably take more than 36 hours! (There are still quite a few
bits to sort out.)

What did you want to integrate into the distribution? The DocBook SGML
files and scripts to generate the HTML and man pages? I think that
would be OK (though I doubt many people have the things necessary
for generating the HTML).

The scripts which scan the GTK+ header files and output the DocBook
files are more awkward - I'm using several programs and scripts to do
this at present. These are only intended to be run once anyway.
Once you start editing the DocBook files, you can't rerun the scripts.

I can put a tarball of all my scripts and stuff on the web, but it
will be quite difficult for people to use them at present.
For a start you need the DocBook v3.0 DTD, Jade v1.1, the DocBook Modular
Stylesheets v1.08, and docbook-to-man installed.
   	http://www.ora.com/davenport (should have links to 3 of these)
	http://www.jclark.com/jade

Damon