Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gnome/GtkCanvas (was Re: gtk_args_collect & gnome--)

On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 11:02:41AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > Please, do not rename GnomeCanvas GtkCanvas if you decide to move it
> > though.
>
> I'd really like to see GnomeCanvas renamed to GtkCanvas now,
> regardless of whether we move it before 1.2, or not, in the belief
> that we eventually need to move it.

I agree with owen here ... the canvas has nothing "gnome specific"
it's a fairly general use widget and as such it should be in gtk
or belong to gtk "in spirit" .... Gnome widgets usually set policy
... the canvas doesn't ...

the other problem I see is that to keep gtk clean it should be that
the prefix is used as a namespace ... there should be nothing
from gnome namespace in gtk ... (the other way is ok, gnome requires
gtk, but it's not the other way around, so gtk widgets in gnome are
ok I think)

third problem is confusion ... it is gonna be very very confusing to
a lot of people if there is suddenly a gnome widget it gtk, even
though it really has nothing specific to do with gnome ...

I don't see it as a problem to change ... couple of lines of sed
and there you go ... the sooner it changes now the less problems will
there be later ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: