Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gnome/GtkCanvas (was Re: gtk_args_collect & gnome--)

Ar Sun, Sep 06, 1998 at 12:09:53PM -0700, scriofa George:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 11:02:41AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > > Please, do not rename GnomeCanvas GtkCanvas if you decide to move it
> > > though.
> > I'd really like to see GnomeCanvas renamed to GtkCanvas now,
> > regardless of whether we move it before 1.2, or not, in the belief
> > that we eventually need to move it.
> I agree with owen here ... the canvas has nothing "gnome specific"
> it's a fairly general use widget and as such it should be in gtk
> or belong to gtk "in spirit" .... Gnome widgets usually set policy
> ... the canvas doesn't ...

 Would it be cunning to move it over to libgtk+ and then just have a
#define gnome_canvas* gtk_canvas* type thing, for legacy code. I assume
that most people installing GNOME would have gtk+ too ;)

 I don't think there is a massive problem, as long as legacy code compiles,
and it's trivial to change all the gnome_ to gtk_ in peoples code. Of
course, there is the extra 0.06 seconds to process all the name mangling
headers...

Kate

--
 "I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star.
    We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."

John "Kate" Looney, Horizon Open Systems. Sun Microsystems distributor and
Support centre. Hotline: [+353 1 8055700] Web http://www.hos.horizon.ie/