Re: Gnome/GtkCanvas (was Re: gtk_args_collect & gnome--)

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx> writes:

> > >  Actually, Federico, what about renaming the GnomeCanvas to GtkCanvas,
> > >  putting it into the Gtk+ distro, making gtk_object_new/set fit to
> > >  stand in for gnome_canvas_item_new/set and then do away with the
> > >  latter?
> >
> > I don't have an opinion regarding moving the GnomeCanvas to Gtk.
> > However, note that it requires Gdk_Imlib, which Gtk doesn't.
>
> Please, do not rename GnomeCanvas GtkCanvas if you decide to move it
> though.

I'd really like to see GnomeCanvas renamed to GtkCanvas now,
regardless of whether we move it before 1.2, or not, in the belief
that we eventually need to move it.

Having it as GnomeCanvas but in GTK+, as well as being conceptually
ugly, will cause problems for language bindings - for instance,
in Perl, all of GTK lives in the Gtk:: module. Does GnomeCanvas
get separated out to Gnome:: or do people write:

 new Gtk::GnomeCanvas

??? I don't think having it named Gnome but in GTK is a good idea.
If you are worried about name recognition, well, everybody
thinks GTK stands for "Gnome Toolkit" anyways... ;-)

If you are worried about the work of changing over, I say
it is minimal.

Take the following perl script, sit at the root of any module
where there is a problem, and do:

 convert-canvas.pl `find . -name '*.[ch]'`

Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to convert all of GNOME...
(OK, maybe 5 more minutes of work in gnome-libs)

Regards,
                                        Owen

==== convert-canvas.pl =====
#!/usr/bin/perl -pi.bak