Re: [gtk-list] Need for an advanced GtkText widget ...

Quoting Joerg Janes (J.Janes@IDS-Scheer.DE):
> Hi out there,
>
> I want to know, if there is anyone working at better text widget, which can be used by an editor which knows "lines" ?
Someone, Chris Lahey i think, is working on a GtkRichText widget... not sure
if that's what you mean..

> I think, there is a need fir this ! There should be a widget, which breaks the Text into lines an stores the text by line. Further, there should be a posibility to attach some user defined data to this lines. Last but not least, there should not be a line or word wrap, so we can us a horizontal scrolling bar.
Hmm, maybe a GtkList (highly modified i guess) would provide the basis for
such a widget..

> With such a widget, we could do some nice things like syntax highlighting, text bookmarks, line numbering and so on more performant ...
Yeah, that would be cool for gEdit...

> Unfortunately, I'n not so familar with the GTK internals to do such work ... is there anyone out there, who can do such a work ? I would be happy, I could help with concepts, perhaps with some coding ...

Yeah, as i said, a GtkList would probably be the best widget to use to provide
the basis for what you say.. it can do Horiz scrolling (it can, can't it?),
and it should be quite easy to do as you say... On the other hand, the
GtkCList (that's what it's called, right), would provide the same as a
GtkList, but you could also do a 'folding' effect (like a tree, but with
blocks of text, separated out with a certian marker or something)...

Well, just my 4p/min..
| Alex Roberts      |  |__][__ |___    \ |
| bse@dial.pipex.com|  |__]___]|___    /\|
| I live in England, and I'm proud of it |
 ---\--> http://nuklear.home.ml.org <-/--
     \-> http://gedit.pn.org <-------/