Re: Need for an advanced GtkText widget ...

 JJ> Hi out there, I want to know, if there is anyone working at
 JJ> better text widget, which can be used by an editor which knows
 JJ> "lines" ?

 JJ> I think, there is a need fir this ! There should be a widget,
 JJ> which breaks the Text into lines an stores the text by
 JJ> line. Further, there should be a posibility to attach some user
 JJ> defined data to this lines. Last but not least, there should not
 JJ> be a line or word wrap, so we can us a horizontal scrolling bar.

I applied a patch for associating user data to text segments in the
text widget a couple of month ago, but not much has happened with it
since.  It was an ugly hack really, but I haven't had the time to work
more with it since...work and studies is taking up most of my time for
the moment.

I use it in an editor widget (a subclass of the text widget), but as
you point out there's a lot of useful things you can do with such
data, so it really belongs in the text widget.

 JJ> With such a widget, we could do some nice things like syntax
 JJ> highlighting, text bookmarks, line numbering and so on more
 JJ> performant ...

I only use it for highlighting at the moment, but I have some other
plans for it as well.  Bookmarks is one thing, another is the
possibility of "hiding" and "showing" text with double clicks like
emacs' outline mode...or "links" from variables and functions use to
there definition...stuff like that.

 JJ> Unfortunately, I'n not so familar with the GTK internals to do
 JJ> such work ... is there anyone out there, who can do such a work ?
 JJ> I would be happy, I could help with concepts, perhaps with some
 JJ> coding ...

You can take a look at what I've done at

   <URL:http://www.daimi.au.dk/~mailund/gtk.html>

I'm in the middle of rewriting the highlighting, but I'm working
*very* slowly right now, 'cause I'm overworked with a lot of other
stuff.  I could use all the help I can get...so if you're interested
let me know.

	/mailund