OFF-TOPIC (was Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk-- vs. vdk)

Sorry, I react to this like a Pavlov dog I guess, but I think it's
worth at least not to let things like that pass undisputed.

George <jirka@5z.com> writes:

> however ... given the experience I've had with C++ I'd recommend against
> switching ...

Would you care to explain more in details why ?

> how about Objective C if you want to use a C with objective syntax
> .. (there are gtk/gnome bindings of course)

... Consider also that Objective C is about as dead as a language can
be.

Sorry for the off-topic answer, but this kind of statement really
annoys me. C++ has flaws, but certainly does not deserve to be put
aside like this. I agree that Objective C is much nicer to use,
though, and that a language can't get much more complex than C++.

But C++ is also extremely powerful, and most of its "bad reputation"
is very unfounded, because of which many talented people stick to C
and go through hoops to do what C++ would let them do ten times more
easily.

Starting a new project in C today (now that we have a very good C++
compiler - egcs, not 2.8.0), even moderately large, is more often than
not a mistake that results in a huge waste of time and resources.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.worldnet.fr/~glaurent